Friday, January 28, 2011

Healthy Seeds For a Healthier You

Maintaining good health is one of my main priorities in life apart from spending quality time with my family.    It's been a while back I had seen a television ad. regarding  chia seeds then Dr. Oz had also made mention of it on the Oprah Show.  After learning about all the benefits, I had to do a bit of researching.  I wanted to make sure it was safe for my entire family to consume, especially my young kids.  As you know, even natural products can pose possible side effects.  A lot of time had passed, and it was until my friend Lisa,  posted a recipe on her facebook page, I was reminded to give this a try.

As a child, I was and still is a huge fan of tapioca pearls.  And I thought that the chia seeds when in pudding form, looked very similar to that of tapioca pudding. I was right except that chia seeds are packed with nutritional benefits. Chia seeds is actually a wonderful Superfood. They are available in both black and white seeds.  And used as an energy food for centuries.  It's a food that can promote good health or prevent disease.  Chia seeds are a great option especially for vegans since it's a great source of omega-3 and fibre.  They are also rich in antioxidants and contain 18 amino acids, three times more iron than spinach, six times more calcium than milk and fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli.  

Armed with this knowledge, I headed to my local Organic Health Store and purchased some.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to prepare -- no cooking involved.   So, here's my Raw Organic Chia Pudding recipe. I hope you give it a try.  One of the most noticeable effects of consuming Chia Seeds is the fact that it leaves me feeling fuller for longer.  With my busy mom's schedule, this totally works for me!



1 1/4 cup Organic Milk
1 Tbsp Raw Organic Honey
3 Tbsps Organic White Chia Seeds
Splash of Vanilla
Dash of cinammon

Just simply combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and leave to set. This mixture will soon be transformed into a thick gel. At this point, I like to transfer to my refrigerator to chill or you may serve as it.   Within 10-15 minutes, your pudding will be ready to enjoy. Please note: You may need to adjust the milk according to your liking to achieve the desired texture. 



I incorporate seeds into my diet by sprinkling over top cereals, salads, adding them to shakes and smoothies and also baking. 

Here's another lovely recipe for Pumpkin Chia Seed Muffins, shared by Dr. Oz.  For more Raw Chia recipes, follow this link.



For an extra healthy boost, try incorporating  blueberries (like I did), raspberries or strawberries. Raisins, prunes or currants will also make great additions.  Have you tried Chia Seeds? I'd love to hear about your experience with this superfood.  This has now become a staple of mine.  It's raw, healthy and yummy.  Talk about a healthy dessert!
Share/Bookmark

No comments: