Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Proper Winter Hair Care

For some of us, caring for our hair during the winter time can be rather tedious.  These cold months with no doubt do affect the way our hair look and feel however, with just a little tender loving care your hair can look it's best just as it does during the warmer months. I have outlined below a list of tips that work for me and hopefully they work for you too.




Tip #1 -- Always wear a hat or toque to protect your hair from the cold and wind. I NEVER venture out without a hat. And my friends always recognize me from a distance -- go figure:)



Tip #2 -- Never venture out with damp hair since your hair can easily become frozen and ultimately you'll stand the risk of hair breaking.



Tip #3 -- Avoid using heat appliances as much as you can however, if you must blow dry, do so on the lowest setting. And before blow drying, allow your hair to sit on top of your head in a towel. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. This will absorb  almost all of the water limiting your hair's exposure to heat.



Tip #4 -- Never use hot water to wash your hair, even during the summer time, this is quite damaging to your hair. A trick I use during the summer is rinsing my hair in cold water. It promotes shine and locks in moisture but I definitely wouldn't recommend this during the winter so stick with warm water.



Tip #5 -- Winter is drying on our hair so using products that add moisture is always a good thing. Avoid products that are drying and opt for natural shampoo and conditioners. These are products that will actually add nourishment to your hair. My go to shampoo and conditioners are by Miessence & Aubrey Organics.



Tip #6 -- Even though I use natural shampoos, I tend to grab my conditioner more during this time of year. The key is to keeping hair moisturized and looking healthy so too much shampoo can be drying on hair.



Tip #7 -- Give yourself a head massage which will encourage proper circulation around your hair roots. I like to flip my hair over and go through with my fingers, massaging in circular motions. This practice feels awesome too. Give it a try and you'll see.



Tip #8 -- Don't be afraid of oils. Oils are ideal for protecting each strand and "the" perfect alternative to products containing dimethicone. My ultimate favorite oils for hair are Jojoba, Argan, Coconut and Olive. Simply pour a small amount in the palm of your hand to warm it up then start applying from the ends of your hair. Whatever is left over, I like to finish on the upper part of my hair.

Tip #9 -- Do NOT neglect your scalp.  Apart from a good massage,  always massage oils into your scalp to prevent that annoying itchy dry feeling.  This is probably winter's worst effect that I constantly battle.  Apply oils help tremendousbly because it keeps the scalp moist. 

Tip #10 -- Limit brushing and combing your hair. If you must do so, use a brush with natural bristles and a wide tooth comb for long hair.  I have never invested in pricey brushes and combs because my fingers do an excellent job at keeping my hair tamed.



I would love your feedback on how these tips work for you. And do continue to care for your hair naturally.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: